Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lesson 2: How to Improve

Hello World!
So I'm happy to give some details on my class and teaching this year, but first, it needs to be said that the second year of teaching is completely different from the first. I've heard before that the second year is much easier, but others told me not to think that because then the teacher will be unprepared and caught off guard, thinking it'll be easy. So I didn't know what I thought or what I should have thought. I started the year with a thousand ideas buzzing in my brain about what went well last year and what needs to be different. Here are some of the things I've discovered so far:
1. Change is good
- I purposely decided to work in the same grade and same classroom as last year so I don't feel like I'm "new". This is good, but my whole teaching style and organization has changed, so I can't expect to be the same teacher as last year. I've made lots of improvements and it's been paying off.
2. Confidence is key
- I feel like last year I was unsure and inconsistent in the beginning, which gave the students unspoken permission to see what they could get away with. This year I was able to set a foundation of consistency and show the kids that there really is a way things work, and no, they can't find a way around it, so they might as well follow the rules. My confidence helped them figure me out quicker and figure out how they fit into the classroom.
3. Same format, new variations
- The subjects I teach are the same as last year, so I get to use the same material, knowledge, projects, etc. if I choose to. This also means as a teacher I could tell the same jokes/stories, but how interesting is that? I've been getting to know the students and I really enjoy having unique little interactions that have to do with the same science material or reading stories or math problems, but they take on a new meaning with the new students' ideas.
4. Attitude is everything
- I'll be honest, last year was rough. I felt like a handful of students had bad attitudes about school and they were infecting most of the others in class. The complaining and arguing and general distaste for what we were learning was really wearing me out, and it took more energy for me to keep a good attitude as well. This year, my students have very positive attitudes and are willing to participate and help each other and encourage and want to learn more about everything! That gets me excited about teaching and I really love helping kids learn when that's what they want to do!
So, it's been a great year so far! The kids are super fun, they have great families who are very helpful and supportive of the schoolwork and studying and everything in the classroom.

We had another Independence Day celebration, so here are my students dressed in Honduran patriotic colors:



We never have fun. Never.
Also, I was invited to the kindergarten class to play ukulele when they were learning about the letter U - I got a little carried away and wrote a whole song with a bunch of u-words, here's a video of the premiere performance:


More to come on the books I've been reading in class, our NEW class pet, and a mystery or two!
Ask me questions in the comments or in an email, and I'll tell you! What do you want to know about?

No comments:

Post a Comment