Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lesson 2: How to Meet New People

So, before arriving here on the plane, I didn't know anybody who would be here.  I just came from an awesome community of really great friends at Mont Lawn Camp, so I was not terribly excited about leaving everybody with a week of camp to go and start over with a brand new group of people.
When I got to the airport in Atlanta before flying to Honduras, I saw a guy that I recognized, not just from the previous plane ride from Harrisburg, but also from somewhere else.  After thinking for a few seconds, I went up to him and asked if he was George Ashby (he was) and looked for a sign that he recognized me (he did) and wondered if he remembered who I was (he didn't). Turns out he was a bus driver for Hershey Trolley Works two years ago, when I was working as a tour guide! After connecting our, umm... connection, we remembered each other and started talking about Pinares, and it turns out he's working here too (small world!) At that point we discovered some people dropping eaves - don't worry, they weren't creepers, they were Tim and Liz, who are also teaching at Pinares. We got onto the plane and landed in Tegucigalpa and found some more friends who we'd be working with. The principal of the high school met us at the airport and then we were off to the school (see previous post for a detailed account of that day).
So now we've been getting to know each other and building a small community that will soon be part of a larger community when the rest of the staff gets here.  For now, only the new teachers (fourteen of us) and the principals and the superintendent and their families are here, along with a few other teachers who have been here all summer.
So it turns out I'm pretty much the youngest person here.  There's another teacher who just graduated from Grove City, but everyone else is older, and most of them have had teaching jobs before. It's been interesting getting to know people who are at very different stages of life than I am. I'm living with two guys who are both 27 and have both taught before, so it's nice to have their experience as a resource. There's another guy named Will who really likes the outdoors and likes going on adventures (definitely not the first friend I have who fits that description). So he and I have been exploring the area and doing some birdwatching (his hobby, I just tag along). We just had a game night tonight where we played a ridiculous version of Uno that was very confusing and had alot of extra rules, including sometimes when you're not allowed to talk (that was difficult for me) and anyone who violated rules got two penalty cards (I got alot of penalty cards). But it was fun to play and have a good time with some new friends.
Anyone reading this should be encouraged to know that I have not forgotten about you! Even in a new place and meeting new people, my mental and emotional friendship capacity has not been exceeded! I need you! Seriously, thanks to everyone who's talked to me here and said encouraging, funny, uplifting, sarcastic, or wholly unhelpful but hilarious comments! I enjoy all of you and everything you say. Also thanks for reading this.  You are reading this, aren't you?
Well, anyway, thanks for being a friend! Feel free to send me an email at DDStoddard11@gmail.com or a Facebook comment or message or poke (did you know that pokes still exist!?) I also use skype (my user name is stan.doddard) or leave a comment on this blog post!
More to come about the city, making food (and eating it) and the school itself. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment